The title should actually read “how to keep your phone, and other devices, charged while camping without EHU” but I thought it was long enough as it is!
So obviously if you’re camping with electric hook up (EHU) you can stop reading right now. If, however, you prefer a simpler experience, here’s a few tips that should help you keep everything charged up.
This year we plan to stay away from wi-fi and go off grid while camping. Having said that, we will still take our phones. Firstly, for safety reasons, and secondly because I like to track our walks using Viewranger (and use it’s GPS capabilities). We will also both have a camera, so we may need to charge the batteries, plus we often take our tablet for photo editing (and keeping Finn quiet with some downloaded songs!)
So how do we keep all those devices charged? There are a few options.
- Make sure everything is fully charged before leaving. We will also each take a charged spare camera battery.
- A car charger is great for topping up the phones and tablet while travelling around.
- Ask at the campsite as many places will charge things for you in the reception/shop area for a small fee.
- A battery powered charging pack is great for emergencies. It isn’t the best choice for long term charging, but is great if your phone needs a quick boost.
- We do sometimes use our Biolite Stove for charging purposes. Again, it’s not going to charge a phone completely, but good for keeping it topped up enough to use over a weekend
- Keep an eye out for spare sockets! If all else fails, we have sometimes used a free socket when eating out or having a coffee.
I hope this has given you some ideas. Let me know if you have any other great tips.
Categories: Camping Tips